This week’s readings really complement each other because I think literature circles would work best in an untracked classroom. Also lc’s would help give students their individual voices that Christensen writes about. I was in “Honors English” (I use quotes because I honestly thought they were the easiest classes I had) all through high school and I really cannot see literature circles really working. First of all, most of us were all friends so we would probably only discuss the book when the teacher was watching, any other time we would talk about our social lives. I also think in “honors” classes students seem to be lazier because they are typically better at school, so in the lc’s I feel like only minimal requirements would be accomplished by the students. I also think the similar things would happen in other tracked classes (probably not for the same reasons though). Now I am not saying lc’s wouldn’t work in tracked classrooms because I am sure they do, but judging from my tracked high school I do not think they would really enhance the students’ reading practices.
Pam, Oscar, Angela, and Toby from NBC’s The Office (sorry for Office references for the second week) form “Finer Things Club,” which is a club where they meet during lunches and discuss a book they are all reading. Pam is a white receptionist, Oscar a Latino homosexual accountant, and Toby a white human resources representative. All these people are very different, however can easily get together and discuss literature. Our students can do the same despite different cultures and learning levels. Christensen’s writings emphasize having a diverse, untracked classroom. With his efforts to teach untracked classrooms that embrace difference, his students seem to be more confident in their ability to read and write; they also seem more confident in the classroom overall. I think to have effective literature circles students need to be confident in their own thoughts and ideas. I think students would get the most out of their literature circles with a diverse group. I would not want to be in a literature circle of all students like myself. I think I learn best from those different from me, they present things that I may never have considered, or present the things I have considered in a different light. I think starting literature circles in an untracked classroom would be difficult at first, but most beneficial in the end. Although the students may be on different reading and learning levels, does not mean they cannot discuss a book. Also, I think, lc’s can really challenge and help all students. The students can even challenge one another within their literature circles. I’m sure literature circles can work in most classrooms if the teacher and students put in the effort, but I think teachers and students would have really beneficial literature circle in a diverse, untracked classroom. What do you think?
Oh and if any of you'd like to start your own Finer Things Club feel free: http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/justforfun/finerthingsclub/index.shtml

I found your comments about "honors" English classes interesting. Its interesting how your experiences compare with what Christensen was writing about. If the class was too easy was it mostly because of the teacher. Your points about friends being in a discussion group are well taken, because you experienced what would happen with a group of friends. I would try to mix students up to prevent that. Your idea of the finer things club is a good one, and a good model, but my worry in an untracked classroom is what to do if the kids don't and won't work together. That's where one would have to find what works or look for ways to get the kids to work together.
ReplyDeleteBethany: Thanks for sharing a little bit about your experiences in honors classes. I did not have tracked classes in my high school (we had AP classes, but that was the extent of it) so I always assumed that in honors classes all of the students would be highly motivated and focused, especially with a good teacher that the students respect. But I can see how honors students can get easily side-tracked and put in as little effort as possible, especially if they're bored and they're unchallenged by their work. Thanks for the new perspective.
ReplyDeleteI took my first AP classes my senior year in high school, and I had never taken any honor courses. My AP stats class was pretty hard because I'm awful at math. But you made me think of my AP English class, which was a joke. We completed a summer reading assignment with an essay and journal which the teacher wasn't even going to collect once school was in session. I MADE her because I had worked so hard on them! When I took the AP test, we had only read like three of the fifteen books we were supposed to have read so we could have a selection for the essay portion. It was pathetic! I totally agree that a diverse classroom, where you're not friends with your discussion group is ideal. Tracking may be used to give some students their individual learning needs, but when it separates groups of students entirely, something is amiss.
ReplyDeleteI agree that a diverse group of students is absolutely wonderful for Literature Circles (because literature and discussion should open our eyes to new perspectives).
ReplyDeleteYou bring up an interesting point about LC's not working in Honors classes. Maybe because I am an eternal optimist, but I think that LC's have just as much potential in an Honors class as in an untracked, more diverse group. It all boils down to whether or not the teacher can foster an environment where the students are stimulated to discuss. Students like to talk; the teacher needs to channel that desire to socialize in a way that makes it meaningful and productive (in terms of a healthy discussion) in the classroom.
I really liked your blog, because it has sparked thoughts about how to make LC's engaging for all students.