Monday, October 24, 2011

Based on a school banning a book entitled Open Minds to Equality "because it presents a “morally neutral” view of homosexuality"www.slapupsidethehead.com
         

       It is almost disheartening to know that I may enter an English department that tells me not to teach specific books. I can’t believe that may job may be jeopardized because of a book.  I completely understand that some books seem or may be really too inappropriate for middle school or high school students, but I also think there has to be clear justifiable reasons to why these books are too inappropriate. Are they that inappropriate that no student is to read it, or may they just be inappropriate for some students and if that is the case they can opt to read it? Are they to inappropriate that those opposing the book need it banned immediately, or can the teacher(s) and those opposing the book discuss their reasons for or against it?
                Webb focused his article on Huck Fin. I found it pretty interesting that it is one of the most read novels in high schools, yet it is still fought against. It was written over a hundred years ago but is still so controversial. That is pretty cool for Mark Twain, I mean I would feel awesome if a hundred years later people were still causing scenes over my work, but I feel like it does not reflect well on our society. If a hundred years later we cannot read a book about a white boy and a black man being friends, it does not say much for our society. I do understand that there is the repetition of a very derogatory term but I think readers should take into account and understand the context of the story and when it was written. I do know that I am writing from my own perspective and therefore cannot relate to African American parents or students but I do not really see a reasonable explanation to why this book should be banned. I honestly do not see a reasonable explanation to why many books should be banned. These banned books usually say the most, they get almost every student engaged, they get them to really think. As we always say, our students should not always be comfortable, and these books may make them uncomfortable but won't that be a better learning experience?
              Noll mentioned the best way to stand up against censorship is through communication. I completely agree. I think through clear communication to administration, parents, and most importantly our students we could help put a stop to censoring and/or banning books. Not everything is for everybody but I do not think that means that we take away the things that are not for some, because they may be for someone else. I think we should communicate with the students and parents what is being read, explain why it is being read, and then if the parents and/or students feel it too inappropriate they can be provided with an alternate text. There have to be ways to go about teaching controversial texts without upsetting everyone, I guess that'll be my job in about 2 years.

"Books won't stay banned.  They won't burn.  Ideas won't go to jail.  In the long run of history, the censor and the inquisitor have always lost.  The only weapon against bad ideas is better ideas."  ~Alfred Whitney Griswold

5 comments:

  1. "There have to be ways to go about teaching controversial texts without upsetting everyone, I guess that'll be my job in about 2 years."

    Yes it will. I think you'll be ready though. I think the first step is just to teach...to open a book and allow its words and ideas to pour over your students. If we teach from fear, we will never be true teachers. Understand potential controversy and be prepared, but teach from your heart first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your comments and questions at the beginning. Is there any way to keep these books in the school without completely banning them?
    I like that you talked about the aspect of communication as well. It is so important to make sure the school, parents, and students are informed about why you are teaching what you are teaching. They can become allies and help to keep books in the schools. There are always alternatives for parents and students who do not want to read a certain controversial text. The books have historical context and have important concepts the students need to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethany, you are absolutely correct! There are ways to teach controversial texts without offending people, and I think the way to get to that point is (as you mentioned) to communicate that you do not intend to make the students believe something else or force them to look at something through your point of view. And that is difficult because when people feel as though their ideas or values are threatened, they just want to cut the threat away. One way to definitely counteract this is to open the classroom for parents and other community members to join in on the conversation.

    Otherwise, we'll just need to pray for an understanding and open community and for the right words to explain the importance of the texts that we teach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bethany, I also think it is discouraging to find out that people are going to try and weave their way in to our classrooms and try and crush our ideas on what we want to teach. I think censored books are so important and bring up ideas that are crucial to society, which is why they are banned. Questioning what we teach in classrooms is really important. We need to be able to stand behind the books we choose and be prepared to defend them. I also like what you said about Huck Finn. It is pretty old book and people still can't get over it and what its contents are. I mean America is supposed to have gone through so much progression yet texts are so still censored because someone finds a theme inappropriate? any book can be appropriate if looked at in a different way but that does not mean it should not be read. Huck Finn is very important and I think people need to look at the book coinciding with the time period and learn from it, which you bring about when you talk about communication within the classroom. It is very important to include the families and community when discussing a book because they need to learn about it and why it is being taught. If we sit down and explain our views and keep the door open with a book then people are more likely to accept that we are reading it in our classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great. Post. I think you are right to feel threatened by this censorship trend, Bethany, because they are not just hindering what is in books in these limitations - they are also holding back what we want to teach. It is definitely crazy that Twain's "great American novel," which it truly is, still gets so much controversy today. Does that mean race relations are still not where they should be today? I hope not. Finally, your quote is so true, and inspiring too. The search for truth will always prevail!

    A large majority of the classes we take as English ed majors are lit classes, even though we will be teaching other aspects of language arts too... I think that says something about the emphasis put on what books we teach for sure. But Shannon gave some beautiful advice: to let a book's "words and ideas to pour over your students" and to "teach from your heart first." The power of books and of knowledge in general is all-encompassing.

    ReplyDelete