I’d like to begin by saying lasts week’s class really got me thinking- are we part of the dumbest generation? I think many of us could really argue both ways. I think in some ways technology has taken away some of our excitement to learn and gain knowledge mostly because we do not need to- we have Google! On the other hand, we are all very smart when it comes to technology. Today society revolves around technology so in that aspect are we the smartest generation? I honestly cannot really argue for one side, but I can say that if we are considered “dumb” it is probably due to the lack of reading (this probably does not really apply to us personally but it will to our students). Good thing it is our job to create lifelong readers.
I read Bauerlein and Stotsky’s article “Why Johnny Won’t Read.” This article talks about gender differences in relation to reading. In the past decade or so studies have shown that adolescents book reading has decreased pretty significantly but also that boys have decreased much more than girls. Bauerlein and Stotsky point out that in schools curriculum has taken out many books that would initially appeal to boys. This made me think of Tarasiuk’s Robert. Was he not offered books that appeal to young men or did the teacher just need to take a different approach to reach him? I think it is more to deal with a teacher’s approach, I think a good teacher can even make the required, boring books interesting. I mean I am sure that Bauerlein is making a good point, and I do understand that there are gender preferences when it comes to reading (that’s why I am all for the idea of students having a say in what they read) but I think with the right strategies teachers can get their students to read.
Tarasiuk’s article was really interesting; I want to do her activities with my students. I think her ideas would help get adolescents, boys and girls, to read more often. It is a way to incorporate students’ interests and vast array of technological knowledge with literature. As we say time and time again, we need to relate what we teach to our students lives and this does this very well. When our goal is to create lifelong readers with many students who do not enjoy reading, we have to find ways to make reading enjoyable and I think Tarasiuk’s approach is awesome.
and just for fun I love this children's book

I'd like to agree with you when you said that we need to make education appealing to each student. I thought about ways in engage the male students in my English class someday. I feel as though some male students in my class may have a hard time relating or finding a purpose to a text. If you recall we had mentioned that society views reading and "uncool." I hope to organize my class in such a matter where walls of judgement are broken down. I think doing stations is a great way to express what you have learned, but in a creative way. I believe having more options to engage your students is the best way to get everyone participating.
ReplyDeleteLast week's class on the dumbest generation also got me thinking. I failed both parts of the "quiz" which made me ask myself, "What DO I know?" I know about many types of technology and how to use them professionally and for fun. And I know how to gather information quickly and effectively. I have strong written and verbal communication skills. But I definitely don't know a lot of "facts" off the top of my head, and I don't think that makes me dumb.
ReplyDeleteAfter last week's class I thought we were "the dumbest generation," because of how much we did not know about history and we all knew the media questions. I got a few of the history questions correct but I did not know some and it made me upset. I wish I could remember those things. Although, we do not hear about those things all the time and we hear about the things on the tv and online all the time so it is fresh in our minds. Most people are talking about what happened on the season finale of Jersey Shore then talking about the rights of the 1st amendment. The people that have come before us might even do made on this quiz, I honestly know my mom and dad would. So, I think it is a bit harsh saying that anyone under 30 can't be trusted.
ReplyDeleteGood points, Bethany! I think Bauerlein's comments are a little unfair simply because he makes broad statements that assumes young people don't read. I think he's wrong because, like we joked in class, I'm older and did well on the "classic" knowledge part of Dr. Shannon's quiz, but that doesn't make me smarter. I think Bauerlien fails to consider the interests of young people and that they way we get information is different from when he was young. When you note that we as teachers must relate to young people's lives you are right and I think Bauerlein's comments suggest he wouldn't be good at that! As far as the gender thing, I commented to Travis, that I think people use this as an excuse. Tarasiuk's Robert is a good example of how it is important to find what student's interests are and build learning from there.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I got a kick out of your just for fun clip-good one!
Bethany, I also read "Why Johnny Won't Read" and I thought that the article was completely ridiculous. I also agree that there are preferences and I do agree that students should pick their books because they would be engaged a lot more. However, I don't think schools favor girl's preferences in books. Does the Great Gatsby really pull in more girl then boys? Does Huck Finn? I honestly, think that it doesn't pull in neither because teachers often teach in ways that are so traditional that students can't connect. I disagree when you state that "if we are dumb it's due to lack of reading". I think that if we are "dumb" it's because we are to lazy to do things that involve effort. I think people read a lot now a days but that it's in a different way. People read books, online articles, online gaming, post secrets, facebook statuses, Iphone instructions, and off their kindle. I doubt that reading a page or reading off a screen has anything to do with how stupid people are. I also don't think we are the smartest generation. We would never survive an apocalypse because, like I said, we are a lazy generation. I see the author's point but I think he is being ridiculous has no real facts. I enjoyed your clip a lot and you always have good points in your blogs.
ReplyDelete