Wilhelm had his students never failed to give him a headache and Frey and Fisher had struggling readers and writers in the poorest community in San Diego. I’m sure every teacher has a headache giver, or a student that is far below their expected proficiency in English, but what matters is how each teacher engages that student. It is probably very difficult to try to engage these students and easy to accept that you cannot reach every single child in your classroom, but I think you have to try everything before ruling them out as “unreachable.”

Wilhelm took the time to find out what his students were interested in and was then able to apply their interests to reading. Frey and Fisher looked to popular culture to get their students to read and write. They embraced popular culture through the use of graphic novels as a type of “hidden literacy” (19). I like that they referred to it has “hidden” because I feel like that would make it ten times more enjoyable for the students. Kids seem to like to do the opposite of what they are supposed to be doing, so maybe novels that do not seem at all like normal classroom reading will make the students read. It will not appear as traditional literature, so maybe the students will embrace it. From reading Wilhelm’s experiences with Tommy, Walter, and Kae and Frey and Fisher’s study with Hoover High School it seems as though graphic novels are a great way to engage struggling readers. Also it seems like there are so many activities and lessons that can go along with graphic novels that can engage all different types of learners on all different levels. Graphic novels are something they’re familiar with but also something new and different at the same time. On the surface it seems like fun, simple reading but there is so much meaning to be explored and found. American Born Chinese, our graphic novel this week, proves that graphic novels could easily be incorporated in classrooms. This novel opens up readers to the ideas of multiculturalism, stereotypes, and self esteem (all ideas seen in classic literature). It also can be linked to different literary conventions such plot structure, mood, and tone.
So one way I can reach what seems to be an unreachable student is through incorporating art and graphic novels (which seems like a ton of fun to do in the classroom). However, I wonder what are others ways to engage reluctant readers, because I don’t think any student is really “unreachable.”
There are no "unreachable students." I think the best way to try and engage the "headache givers" is to get to know them. Try new things and see what get the best reaction. We had talked in class (Shakespeare) about how we both believe that keeping a journal during student teaching would be a great idea. Wilhelm has giving us many techniques that he found are most useful to him. I guess the only way to determine if they are useful to use is to try them.
ReplyDeleteWould you consider teaching a graphic novel after learning more about them?
Should we ask our students what they would like as an activity? Should we teach students to teach each other? These are all great questions to which the answer would be yes!
Great blog Bethany. I loved the comic as well.
I agree with you that, as a teacher, we need to try everything possible before giving up on a student. No student is "unreachable" because the teacher just needs to reach the student in the right way.
ReplyDeleteI had not thought of students embracing graphic novels because they do the opposite of what they are suppose to do, but I agree with you that they will more than likely embrace it because it something they do not normally get to read. "Hidden" literature is a great way to put it. Students may not have realized they are reading something with as much merit as a "classic," but within the classroom the graphic novels can be used in many ways (as seen by Wilhelm and Fray and Fisher) to engage the students.
Graphic novels should be incorporated in the classroom for many different reasons. I loved all of your ideas about bringing them into the classroom.
Good blog, Bethany. I too, like the way you noted the use of a "hidden literacy" and agree that students would be attracted to it for the reasons you mentioned. The other thing I liked about Frey and Fisher is that they noticed what the kids were into and did not necessarily try to "take" it from the kids or impose themselves on it. And, at the same time found something the students could both connect to and learn from. I like how you noted that the conventional literary things we associate with "classic" literature can be found and taught in graphic novels. I think this weeks reading challenged all of us on how we think about graphic novels.
ReplyDeleteYour comment on how students like to "do the opposite of what they are supposed to be doing" sparked a question...
ReplyDeleteDo you think that if we are able to engage students in graphic novels that they will then carry the same enthusiasm and interest into other forms of literature too (including some of the more traditional literature)?
I liked your thinking when you stated, " Kids seem to like to do the opposite of what they are supposed to be doing, so maybe novels that do not seem at all like normal classroom reading will make the students read. It will not appear as traditional literature, so maybe the students will embrace it." I believe you may be on to something here. I know I would much rather take a class that focuses on anything BUT traditional novels.
ReplyDelete